Member’s assembly and new leadership in the CS Pillar
On September 19 and 20, a hybrid Assembly of Members of the Pillar of Civil Society was held, in which we discussed the challenges of democracy and the role that the Community of Democracies must play, especially in relation to the renewal process for 2023.
Additionally, new leaders of the Pillar were elected. Starting October 1, 2022, the Latin American and Caribbean Network for Democracy (Redlad) will serve as Pillar’s secretary, and Enrique de Obarrio, Redlad’s General Coordinator, will be its Chair. Also, the Institute of Public Affairs will have the vice chair which will be exercised by Jacek Kucharczyk.
Also, 11 organizations presented their interest for being included as members of the International Steering Committee (ISC). We encourage other members of the Pillar to take part of the ISC by manifesting your interest:
- African Center for Democracy and Human Rights Studies (ACDHRS)
- ARTICLE 19
- Asian Democracy Network (confirmation by mail in October)
- Centro de Capacitación y Promoción de la Democracia (CECADE)
- Fundación Multitudes
- Freedom House
- Human Rights House Foundation
- Initiatives for International Dialogue
- Institute of Public Affairs – Vice Chair
- Network of Democrats in the Arab World
- Organization for Civic Activities
- Red Latinoamericana y del Caribe para la Democracia (REDLAD) – Chair
- Taiwan Foundation for Democracy
In the Assembly, a heartfelt thanks was presented to Fundación Multitudes, especially Paulina Ibarra and Jaime Ibarra, for the previous exercise of the Chair and secretariat.
Multitudes is still preparing the minutes of the meeting; once they are ready, we will be sending them to all of you. In the meantime, we invite you to read the remarks by Enrique de Obarrio, new Chairman of the Pillar.